Dental implants are metallic devices made of titanium that are surgically inserted into the jaw and/or mandibular bones in order to replace one or more teeth. Implants integration is accomplished through osseointegration, a process that lasts between 3-6 months which creates a close connection between a dental implant and bone.
After the healing period, a prosthetic device is attached to the implant, called artificial abutment, which will support the designed prosthetic work, namely: dental crown, dental bridge, removable prosthesis; Sometimes, some orthodontic appliances can be attached to dental implants in order to straighten or align teeth.
What are the benefits of dental implant?
- Resistant, biocompatible;
- Replaces the missing teeth;
- Stops the loss of bone mass and prevents alteration of the face profile caused by bone loss;
- Does not compromisethe integrity of surrounding teeth;
- Excellent appearance and comfort;
- On the long-term, disappear the risks and discomfort associated with traditional prosthetic methods (caries, bone structure deterioration, damages of adjacent teeth, the need for permanent use of dental adhesives, etc.).
- Success rate is almost 100%;
- Maximum patient comfort after treatment;
- Durable if good oral hygiene is maintained.
The risk factors that can lead to implant loss are bruxism, smoking, and poor dental hygiene.
There are also contraindications of implants as: insufficient bone support (available bone height and thickness), pathological masses (tumors, cysts, granulation tissue) in areas where the dental implant is needed, administration of anticoagulant, cytostatic, and bisphosphonate treatment.
Dr. Andreea Bedreaga
Dentist, Smilemed Clinic
Do you want an appointment?
Call now at 021 4119054